General terms and conditions
MEDIA LOVES TECH
A: The competition is organized by DW Akademie (subsequently named DW), in cooperation with Al Khatt, and will run from June to December 2023.
The competition is open to everyone over the age of 18 years at the moment of registration (hereafter referred to as “eligible persons”). Journalists, developers, designers, data scientists, creatives, techies, as well as individuals and representing organizations are invited to participate, submit concepts or be part of a team.
DW managers, jury members and the people they live with, the mentors and the people they live with are not eligible to participate.
MEDIA LOVES TECH is a pre-incubation competition, from the idea to the creation of a solution prototype. All projects at this entrepreneurial stage are accepted. Projects must also be in the pre-marketing stage. This means that they have not been offered for sale and do not have no registered customers.
B: To participate, eligible persons must:
- Access the competition website (link to come) and click on the registration button
- Create a user profile and access the competition section on the project platform
- Form a team (teams must have a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 5 participants)
- Propose a project that will be implemented, in part or in full, in one or more of the targeted countries and is market-fit(Tunisia, Morocco and Algeria).
- Develop a concept (pitch deck) linked to one of the proposed themes. The team can then proceed to the initial stage of design, mock-up or prototyping.
C: Registrations are open from the 1st June 2023 until July 15th, 2023 on startup.medialovestech.com. Each person registered in MEDIA LOVES TECH must create a user profile on the project platform, accessible on the website, specifying the place where they wish to work:
- Informative sessions will be announced as they arise. You can follow us on our Facebook page “MEDIA LOVES TECH” for the exact dates of these sessions.
- At the date of submission, the projects to be submitted must be, at a minimum, in the design phase (pre-prototyping) and, at most, in the pre-marketing phase.
- From the 1st of June to 15th of July 2023, the teams must train and work on their concepts. The winning teams from phase 1 will be announced in August 2023 on the competition website.
- During the incubation to be held in October and November 2023, the teams must start to develop their prototypes and can request the specific skills of the experts who will then lead these workshops.
- The teams will continue to develop their projects after the incubation phase, until the end of November 2023. Optional workshops will be offered, with the support of technical and media experts.
All prizes will be announced and awarded by the organizers to the beneficiary teams at the award ceremony to be held the 7th of December 2023.
D: All work carried out by the teams is the property of the teams. No company, organization or entity other than the registered members of the team can claim prerogatives on the intellectual property developed at MEDIA LOVES TECH. Any prior intellectual property that the MEDIA LOVES TECH participants bring with them or by which they are linked because of their professional status must be declared to the other team members and to the organizers of MEDIA LOVES TECH.
E: Competition procedures:
Info: all precise dates will be communicated later!
Stage 1: Submission until the 15th of July 2023 at the latest and announcement of selected projects in August 2023. The preselected teams will have the opportunity to continue developing their projects during the incubation phase during the months of October and November 2023.
Stage 2: The teams participating in the incubation phase will continue to work on their products in order to be able to submit the prototypes in November 2023. The team which will win the € 10,000 will be announced on the 7th December 2023 during the award ceremony. The price will be awarded in stages according to the progress made in the development of the project.
- Innovation: the level of innovation of the concept in solving the problem.
- User experience: is the interface user-friendly and easy to use (depending on the target audience for the product)
- Functionality: working level of the prototype and degree of technological innovation
- Implementation: What is the implementation and promotion plan for the product in the future (roadmap)?
- Project team: degree of collaboration within the team, ability and motivation to ensure the continuity of the project (during the challenges of Open-Innovation, it is not only a question of creating new ideas but collaboration and co-creation are also among the main objectives).
F: The documents to be submitted are as follows:
To upload on the site:
- Your concept (pitch deck of about 10 slides)
- A concept note (maximum 5 pages) describing your idea, its relevance to your target audience, the business model, your team, your prototype and any other information that you consider relevant.
- CV of team members
- Documents you think are important in understanding the idea
Documents may be drawn up in Arabic, French or English. English is preferred.
Upload a video, a link to a demo or any other document that would allow us to better assess your product or the progress of your work.
1. In order to be declared a winner, the selected winning team must meet the following conditions:
Each of these members must have signed the contract of engagement for the submission of prototypes;
Confirm that they meet the eligibility conditions and other requirements of these rules.
Failure to comply with one of the conditions mentioned above or any other condition mentioned in these rules, the selected team will be disqualified and at the discretion of the organizers, the price will be canceled or this price will be awarded to another team in accordance with these participation rules. The same conditions will then remain applicable, making the necessary adaptations, if necessary.
2. Award ceremony:
In the event of refusal to receive its award by the selected participant, DW Akademie, named DW thereafter, will be released from any obligation relating to the awarding of this prize and may proceed, at its discretion, to the cancellation of this prize or to a new draw as described in the previous paragraph.
All registrations and declaration forms are subject to verification by DW. Those which are incomplete, inaccurate, illegible, mechanically reproduced, fraudulent, filed or submitted late, contain an invalid or otherwise non-compliant telephone number, may be rejected and will not be entitled to the prize.
Any person participating in MEDIA LOVES TECH or attempting to participate by a means contrary to these regulations and of a nature to be unfair to other participants (example: computer hacking, non-declaration of previous intellectual property) will be automatically disqualified and could be referred to the competent judicial authorities. Likewise, projects that have not respected the pre-incubation (prototyping) and pre-commercialization (priming) statutes will be disqualified.
5. Intellectual property:
The intellectual property of the prototype produced during the MEDIA LOVES TECH belongs to the entire team. It is the responsibility of the teams, if they use pre-existing intellectual property elements, to ensure that they have full ownership of them before using them within the framework of MEDIA LOVES TECH.
6. Competition procedures:
Any attempt to sabotage the legitimate conduct of the competition constitutes a violation of civil and criminal laws. If such attempts are made, DW reserves the right to reject the participant’s registrations and obtain redress under the law.
7. Acceptance of rewards:
The prices must be accepted as described on the MEDIA LOVES TECH website and may in no case be wholly or in part transferred to another team, replaced by another price or exchanged for money, subject to what the organizers could decide, at their discretion.
8. Limitation of liability:
If DW cannot award the prize as described on the MEDIA LOVES TECH website, it reserves the right to award a prize of the same kind and of equivalent value or, in its sole discretion, the value of the prize as indicated in these regulations.
Limitation of liability – Use of the prize
The winner releases DW from all responsibility for damages that may arise from participation in MEDIA LOVES TECH, acceptance and use of the prize. The winner acknowledges that upon receipt of the prize or the letter confirming his prize, the performance of the obligations related to the prize becomes the sole and exclusive responsibility of the various suppliers of products and services. The winner undertakes to sign a declaration and exemption from liability form to this effect. The winner of a prize recognizes that the only warranty applicable to it is the usual manufacturer’s warranty.
Liability limit – exceptional situation
DW will not assume any liability of any kind in all cases where its inability to act results from a fact or situation beyond its control or from a strike, lockout or any other labor dispute in the establishments of organizations or companies whose services are used for the holding of this competition.
Limitation of liability – participation in MEDIA LOVES TECH
DW will not be responsible for lost entries for any failure of the website for any reason during the duration of this contest, including any damage to a participant’s computer or mobile device.
9. Modification of the competition:
DW reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend, in whole or in part, this contest in the event of any instance or any human intervention that may alter or influence the administration, security, impartiality or running of the competition as provided for in these rules cannot be held responsible.
10. End of participation in the competition:
In the event that, for any reason whatsoever, participation in the competition should end in whole or in part before the end date provided for in these rules, the award may be made, at the discretion of DW , among the registrations duly recorded and received until the date of the event that ended participation in MEDIA LOVES TECH.
11. Limitation of liability – Participation in the concept:
By participating in or attempting to participate in the competition, any person releases DW from any responsibility for any damage that they may suffer as a result of their participation or attempted participation in the competition.
12. Acceptance of the prize:
By accepting the prize, any winner authorizes DW to use, if necessary, their names, photographs, images, voices, places of residence and declarations relating to the prize for advertising purposes, without any form of remuneration.
13. The paragraphs:
If a paragraph of this regulation is declared or deemed illegal, unenforceable or anywhere by a competent court, then this paragraph will be considered to be null, but all the other paragraphs which are not affected will be applied within the limits permitted by law.
14. These rules are available on the site.
15. The competition is subject to all applicable laws in Germany.
16. Personal information:
The personal information collected from the participants will be used only for the purposes of managing MEDIA LOVES TECH.
Anyone who participates in MEDIA LOVES TECH agrees to comply with these regulations and the final and final decisions of the organizers who administer MEDIA LOVES TECH.